Complete collection of 121 elaborate copper engravings by Gerard Jollain: 'Vita et miracula Christi ex novo testamento...', a beautiful collection illustrating the life and miracle of Jesus, Paris, about 1650.
'Vita et miracula Christi ex novo testamento/ La Vie et les miracles de Iesus Christ/ Tirez du nouveau testame(n)t/ Gerard Jollain excudit Rue St. Iacques a l'Enfant Iesus/ Avec privilege du Roy.'
Gérard Jollain was a French illustrator and publisher of the 17th century, he belongs to the family Jollain, which owned a workshop and worked as publishers in the 17th and 18th century in Paris.
Complete collection of very fine copper engravings by Gerard Jollain, illustrating the life and miracles of Christ after the New Testament, this work is exceptionally scarce. The work contains an engraved title leaf and 120 numbered engraved tables.
- only the fragment of an old vellum cover, binding completely missing
about w 25,0 cm x h 18,0 cm
- generally in satisfying preservation
- spotted fragment with loose covers, missing vellum at the front cover
- most engravings with strong illustrations
- paper with age appropriate toning and partly slight stains
- few leaves with stronger stains or slight moistured spots
- leaves in general with damages at the margin
- engravings per se in good condition